Monday, February 20, 2017

Anything Goes at Aurora Wings


It's time for a new challenge at Aurora Wings and it's everyone's favorite, Anything Goes. (Except maybe mine, LOL)  I seem to be having the hardest time making decisions when I have no direction these days.  Must be my age.
However, with a little prodding from some of my teamies, I came up with this!


Grab a cuppa, I'm feeling really chatty now that I'm finally done!

When checking my images I came cross the gorgeous Whisper of the Sea. She's also available HERE in the newly revamped AW Digi Shop. It's been quite awhile since I played with mermaids and I thought she'd be perfect for a non card project.  It just so happened I had a canvas I had covered in ripped pieces of paper toweling I'd used to blot a Brushos experiment.  OOOH!  Perfect colors.



Here's a closeup of Whisper of the Sea. (BTW, she also comes in the no background png version Here and Here, if you'd like to merge the image or use a digital background.)   She's colored with Copics with a little bit of Prismacolor pencil action to add more depth to her hair. I've used seed beads to embellish her hair ornament, earring and hmmm, would you call that clothing?  I held my breath while applying them with Diamond Glaze, hoping not to ruin all the work I'd done coloring, but fate smiled on me.  

There is also a fair amount of Liquid Pearls and some Waterfall Stickles nearer the bottom that I figured were bubbles or sea foam.  I'd planned on using my Nuvo dimensional glitter, but do you think I could find it?  I also wanted more dimension to the shell she is holding so I added a sticker from JoLee's.  The size, however, was not quite as large as the digital one and looked funny just stuck on there so I built it up with a combo of Diamond Glaze and perfect pearls.  Gotta say it wasn't the brightest idea to add all this stuff before fussy cutting, but I managed, PHEW!



Now here's where I DID screw up.  I'd spent several hours coloring, when all of a sudden I realized I'd colored the area beneath her shell bra green like her ruffly sleeves.  EIYIYI!  It looked TERRIBLE!  I couldn't even pass it off as part of her tail, because honestly, have you ever seen a mermaid's tail come all the way up to her boobs?  

HERE'S THE FIX:  I always, ALWAYS print my images at least twice, mostly because if I ever want to fussy cut or layer, I don't have to go back and print it again (and if you do, you better have saved the size or you're toast), but also because sometimes I change my mind on the color scheme mid stream, or need to perform an emergency skin graft (or hair, or whatever else I screwed up) like the area circled above.  Recolor the offending area, fussy cut, carefully go around the cut areas with the side of a brush marker, I use Memento because it doesn't tend to bleed as much a Copic, glue, et VOILA!



Marisol (that's her name, I named her!) is in her little mermaid cove, made from hot gluing some shells together, sitting on her stretched canvas lagoon.  The netting is saved from some produce.  You can also see where I fussy cut and added dimension to her arms to hold her conch shell.



I've used a combo of dimensional sticker (JoLee's) elements and real shells to complete the scene.  The blue and tan cluster is actually an antique brooch I retrieved from one of my Mother-in-law's jewelry boxes after she died.  I'd been waiting for the perfect project to use it on.



Finally, I finished off the canvas with Scor-tape around the bottom edge dipped in sand.  The straight top edge sort of bugs me, but have you ever tried to cut that stuff?  The sentiment is from Graphic 45 and my last touch was some rope I'd dirtied up a bit with Distress Ink.  Hope you enjoyed my project as much as I did making it.  (And if you've made it through this whole post, you deserve a medal, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  xxx)

My AW teamies have all kinds of fabulous inspiration, so I hope you go visit the Challenge Blog and leave them some love.  Hope you join us too.   I mean there's really no excuse when it's Anything Goes, now is there?

You also still have until the end of the month to join in the February Red, White and Pink FB contest.


Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.






29 comments:

  1. Ooooh Donna - that is AWESOME !!! Such gorgeous colouring and you would never know you made that petite boo-boo !! I usually print a couple too just in case of said errors. A magnificent 'save' :-D xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!, what an amazing piece of art, love the colours, the fact that you retrieved your error, all the little details, just an absolute delight.
    Faith
    x
    Thanks for the lovely comment x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure gorgeousness! I can't believe that the background is a paper towel. Works perfectly with this image. And I love the sand element, too. I have to say that your canvasses are some of my very favorite projects of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so fun to read through your posts, Donna! I love the details that you show and mention - love reading about the final tweaks, and your tips on how to cover and correct little mistakes are gold! Marisol absolutely radiates with life with your coloring. I love the marine blue hair you gave her. The produce net and your mother-in-law's brooch are all perfect touches on this gorgeous project! Thank you so much for yet another amazing inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Michelle DT for http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just stunning Donna, and I do as you say, print two immediately for those emergencies, love your colours and magnificent added goodies...cleverly designed.xx{aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Donna! This is absolutely stunning! Your colouring is amazing, as always, and I like how you fixed your colouring booboo - brilliant idea! I love your completed project with all the gorgeous finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Donna and I have now learnt how to cover up colouring Mistakes, great card and post x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog challenge Y for You Choose. Hugs Jackie (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am back again this time to thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste Challenge Blog for challenge 23 Anything Goes Mixed Media and the sponsor is Scrapmatts. Hugs Jackie DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Donna this is Fantastic! so gorgeous!
    xoxo Olga

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous creation! Love the idea of recycling those Brusho scraps!

    Thanks for joining us at International Art and Soul this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love your creation Donna. Also enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for joining us for our challenge at Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends. Good luck.
    Lynn aka Lynnpenguin, LPoCF DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an beautiful creation and lovely entry for our challenge this week, many thanks for joining in at Allsorts.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, this is just fabulous art! I will be buying that image and trying to duplicate what you did for my granddaughter who aspires to be a mermaid when she grows up!! LOL Great blog post!! Thanks for all the instructions and the little chuckle about your "booboo". Nice to know I'm not the only one!!
    Hugs!
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful project - it is fabulous
    thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for entering our challenge at allsorts X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow fantastic
    Thanks for sharing at My Time To Craft x

    ReplyDelete
  19. she is stunning, love the shape card the colours & extras

    Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Tracey DT   http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous. Love it. Nice work.
    Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
    [Annette Registered Owner/Admin for Classic Design Team Challenge]

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would be perfect to enter in new challenge over at Morgans Artworld which is open to any image. Please enter your gorgeous project on this link. Annette DT for  http://morgansartworld.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Back again, and again just super fabulous work. Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge


    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this image and your wonderful colouring. Thanks for joining us over at Delicious Doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Back with my DT hat on and I'm happy to repeat, how beautiful this is. Thanks for joining us at Morgan's Artworld. Faith DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous little project, love the detail. Thanks for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your talent on International Art & Soul. Good luck and hope to see you again. Maggie, DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely project! Stunning design and love that image you've used.
    Thank you for sharing with us at the World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Jacqueline DT World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohh Wow Stunning.... I love the total effect of your project and all the work that you have put into it really shows. Thank you so much for joining in with our 'For The Ladies Challenge' over at Morgans ArtWorld.
    Samantha (AngelicBadGirl) DT xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!