Monday, March 12, 2012

BBTB2 Bunny or Chick


Happy Monday, or maybe not so happy. How're ya all doin' with the time change? I can certainly see why they start it on a Sunday, but if you were out late on Saturday night, like we were, EIYIYI! Well, March is flying by and our gorgeous and multi talented BBTB2 sister Julia's thoughts have turned to Easter, with a challenge involving bunnies or chicks (or both! you choose). There are so many adorable cuts on a bazillion different carts but I finally settled upon these cuties from Simply Charmed. Couldn't decide which I liked best so I used BOTH! Welded the shadows together in DS and then started layering.

Because I wanted them to look like they were really peeking out from bunny suits, I clicked weld on each individual cut to hide the placement "tick marks" and then placed the solid face shape in the appropriate spot so it would cut out, instead of having to layer the face on top. I also thought the bunnies should be fuzzy. My flocking colors were a bit brighter than I wanted, so I chose a slightly brighter pastel for each bunny and flocked them in white to soften the colors...perfect! The bunnies were flocked using my Xyron (BTW, they're cut at 5 1/2") run face down. The secret to getting good coverage with no "strings" is to first really rub the back of your cut to get good adhesion, then use a stylus around EVERY cut edge before peeling off the backing. Since things don't stick to flocking all that well I adhered the inside of the ears and paw pads before flocking. Then, I really rubbed the cuts into the flock and brushed off the excess several times to get good coverage.



When I cut the solid faces again, I enlarged them slightly so you wouldn't see the edges if you looked from the side after popping and layering. I have a few Peachy Keen face sets, but none were big enough, (nor were they animals) so I ended up drawing my own using PK for inspiration. They don't exactly look like bunnies. Maybe bears?..in bunny suits?



It is a shaped card, of sorts, but doesn't open conventionally. The bunnies were angled somewhat in DS and it's really difficult to line up the cuts for a full shaped card when you do that and I wasn't feeling a shaped front. Instead, I used the Tim Holtz easel die and ran it though my Big Shot and trimmed it to fit so it would stand up. I'd planned to use my Fancy Frames but I couldn't find it on DS (am I missing an update?) so I just went with that.



So where does it open? The carrot, of course! Even though I'd layered the feet and paws on that sucker, it wouldn't really stay closed so I tied a ribbon around it. The sentiment is computer generated and that's why this post is late. I was too tired to do the inside last night. I hope you didn't fall asleep at the keyboard with this long post, but surely you'll want to stop by BBTB2 and see all the cute critters hooping around. Can't wait to see your too, but remember the rules, please.

23 comments:

  1. Donna, I have been staring at this for 10 minutes now. HOLY COW! Every single detail (not to mention, layer) is just amazing! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just the Queen of Layers ;) Awesome! The flocking looks amazing - thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the cutest cards ever! The flocking looks incredible. I thought it was all felt when I first saw it. Also, I kept wondering where in the world you had gotten those PKS faces LOL! You are a true artist!!
    Maribel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Donna - I cannot believe you drew those faces, you are super talented!!! Not that I didn't already know THAT! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is just down right adorable x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW this is sooooo super cute I LOVE IT so much Donna.
    Sorry not been about for a bit hope to have a little look if I get a few mins.
    Hugs
    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute bunnies. You can enter these in the following challenges: Ribbon Carousel RCC43 Cause we FELT like it which ends at 10pm & Peachy Keen Stamps Ch08 Anything Goes.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, what little cuties! I love the fuzzy outfits and you did a wonderful job on the faces! Very clever putting the sentiment inside the carrot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you just keep doin it over and over, that WOW factor. Love their little buntings, that carrot, well I love the whole thing. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww, how cut is that...I love the fact that it looks like felt and the little hair coming out on her face....too cute for words. You drew those faces? You are amazing Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna..U r too hard on yourself, they look like bunny faces and they r totally gorgeous...Krista

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow, is this cute or what!!! Those faces and that flocking are just perfect. Amaaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You never cease to amaze me. These are so cute. I love everything about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They don't look like bears... they are adorable, and the faces are so cute, is there anything you can't do? And i love that the carrot opens and holds the sentiment. One cute card. hugs (and thanks for the comment on Alex's card) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one amazing card!!!!!! Wow! Love it! I was very interested in your tips on flocking successfully-I've only tried it once and it didn't turn out so well, so now I want to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have the patience of all times... each little detail is so very awesome, the little bunnies could not be any cuter and I do so love that carrot sentiment.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your cute bunnies! I just started participating in Bitten By the Bug2 challenges and I want to turn off the word verification on my blog as you request. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Can you help, pretty please?

    Thanks,
    Cindy :)
    ca4260@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day, I don't know how you do it...you are amazing! With that out of the way, on to your card! AWESOME! So creative and so much deatil. But that don't surprise me, everything you touch turns into a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are sooooo darn cute girl, I just want to put them in a cage and keep them........Adrable

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word, so dang CUTE Donna! L♥ve how you made the bunnies fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG - such a lot of work and an awful lot of 'flocking' LoL I must admit, I was totally baffled by half of what you said in your instructions !!! However, the finished result is soooo ceeeuute (I nearly chucked up) LoL xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donna, this is so, so, SOOOO adorable. I love your bunnies, their 3D effect and their adorable faces. So so sweet!
    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I seen this over bbtb2. This is so cute. I love it!! You know that Cricut spokesperson Jinger Adams. She is starting up a design team on her new site and she is looking for designers. You should apply. You have to link a project on her site. The Design team call ends March 31.
    Here is her site
    www.jingeradams.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!