Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tiddly Inks Diamond Glaze or Crackle Challenge


Happy Tuesday! This week at Tiddly Inks Challenge Blog it's all about crackle or shine. I don't mess too much with that stuff so this really was a challenge for me. I guess I'm too impatient waiting for stuff to dry, although it might help if I didn't procrastinate. LOL I really wanted to try to do something different. After several failed attempts with crackle and a weird cracked glass episode on mirror board, I did the kind of experimentation that my friend Margie does. (She'll try ANYTHING. LOL Especially when...oh never mind. Luv ya girl!) So what is that crackly icy looking stuff over Snowman Sid? Believe it or not, it's several (4 maybe?) coats of Utee on a thick piece of clear vinyl from Short Cuts (no longer in business, bummer). I started with a rectangle a bit longer than I needed (didn't want to melt it to my fingers) and coated it with embossing ink, covered it with Utee and gave it a shot with my heat gun. I was a little tentative thinking it would just melt into a big mess, but the vinyl held up. WooHoo. I repeated the process over and over, trying to get it all smooth, but the edges stayed a bit bumpy and I eventually decided it looked like crusty ice and went with it. I punched holes in the piece and attached it to Snowman Sid and the mat with Doodlebug Sugar Coated brads through punched snowflakes. The rest is pretty obvious.


Now if you'd like to play along but don't want to mess with all of this, Christy has a super crackle paper freebie HERE or on our PCP group page. Be sure to check out the fun examples by the rest of the Tiddly Inkers and stay tuned for The SALE and new mini release OCT 1 at the Tiddly Inks Shop (fun new stuff happening).

22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful effect!! Love it!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how that background piece turned out...its a perfect snowbank for ole Sid !! So pretty!!
    xoxo Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for experimenting! Your results turned out fabulous! Great card also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Donna, Snowman Sid is soooo ca-ute! I LOVE me some snow people! You did an excellent job on this technique....looks really cool...ha, ha, get it...cool? Oh never mind, I'm a goofus! LOL! HUGS girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I like this snowman with the glaze! He's so cute! I need to get in on this challenge because it looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks wonderful but it makes me feel so so so ccccold hehe fantastic work x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, this is AWESOME! That snowman looks like he's under a layer of ice. So freakin' cool! And, you're right... I will try anything, especially if it involves getting down and dirty! LMBO! Makes me want to rush home and play with something! Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh he is just the cutest little bit of inventing you have done you mad scientist you!!!!! he looks fabulous, huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this came out really cute...guess you just never know until you try...Thanks for sharing.

    http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, you did a great job and I really like your card. I'm the opposite of you, I guess, because I love playing with UTEE and crackle! However, you wouldn't be able to tell you don't "mess" with the stuff by looking at your card!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhhh he's just lovely- a snoman under ice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way, WAY cool technique!(no pun intended...really!)It totally looks like ice! Love all those icy blues too!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is totally awesome Donna! I don't do well with this sort of stuff but may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snowman is adorable. I love that technique you used....thanks for sharing...I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh great tech on this Donna and love the image, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the icy blue and all the effects! So fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouuhhhhhh Donna! Love the effect of the snowman, he looks as if he is slowly starting to melt. I understand now what you were saying about all the layer you added. Really puts you in a winter mode heck, it's still 99 degrees here. Awesome creations on the challenge my friend.

    Hugz, xx'

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool snowman! Love the effect - he looks so frosty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just AMAZED at how gorgeous your snowman is! Anytime I have played with UTEE at my LSS, it turns out with a very yellowy cast (is it because we are melting it in a melting pot? and you just melted yours with your heat gun? I LOVE the clear white look.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Donna another really beautiful card, I love it, it looks like the Snowman is under water, also thank you so much for your lovely comment,
    Have a great evening, Hugs Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card!!! I love that technique you used.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!