Wednesday, September 1, 2010

At the Fair with The Cuttlebug Spot


This week, at The Cuttlebug Spot, the Fair is our inspiration. Instead of the exhibits and food and hot sweaty crowds I chose to go back to a magical time when I was young and in love and carnival rides at night were about the most romantic thing I could imagine. Do you remember your first kiss on the top of a Ferris Wheel? Could anything be sweeter?


I have to admit I bought the Cricut Lite Carousel cartridge specifically for this challenge (thanks, Nilda, always the enabler!) I started out cutting in bright Fair colors but couldn't find paper for the background I wanted to emboss. I came across this piece of midnight blue and tried embossing with the Christmas Stars limited edition Cuttlebug folder (available at Custom Crops) but the embossing really didn't show up until I inked it with platinum. It immediately took me back to a very special time in my life and my idea was born. (There are just some things you never forget. Even after 40+ years. :D )


I recut the Ferris Wheel in gold foil card stock and embossed the base with one of the borders from Just My Type. The banner is also cut from Carousel and the flags are embossed individually with the tiny dots from the Cuttlebug Butterfly cutting combo. The crescent moon is another cutting combo called Halloween. The double scallop background punch is MS and the blue and base for the easel are embossed with the new Cuttlebug Polka Dots 5x7 folder.
"Magical" is a combination of the Cuttlebug alphas Curls and Swirls and Typewriter. "Kisses" is trimmed from "hugs & kisses" from the Love Language card making combo. The cool ticket is from another of the fab new Cuttlebug Embossing Plus folders called Vintage Collage which I printed on the computer and outlined with a Micron pen. The tiny hearts were a $1 punch from M's. Then I added loads and loads (and LOADS) of adhesive beads to resemble the lights.
To add even further dimension to the easel I cut a strip of paper and folded it into a sort of square "C" and attached it to the back of the wheel and the background for a pop-up mechanism so the Ferris wheel really stood out from the starry sky.
As you can see, the card still folds up (fairly) flat for mailing. I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did making it. Perhaps it will bring back magical memories of your own.
Be sure to stop by The Cuttlebug Spot to view the cards and say good bye to the existing Design Team. New things are ahead for The Cuttlebug Spot. September is our two year anniversary and next Monday Nilda will put out a call for new faces and talent. If you've ever dreamed of being part of a Design Team, next week is your chance to apply. This may well be my last week as an "official" member of The Cuttlebug Spot and I thank Nilda and my Design Team Sisters for a truly wonderful experience. Now don't forget to play along this week because we have a fabulous $50 prize from Simon Says Stamp. But remember your card must be "new", follow the theme, and include some embossing. Best of luck.

21 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP DONNA! That is FABULOUS. Yes, that's All I can say because my mouth is hanging open so the fingers cannot type.
    xxSusan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Susan, my mouth is hanging open... WOW..... that is so amazing. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna!! Ur blowing my mind with these detailed cards!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna!! Ur blowing my mind with these detailed cards!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've got to go along with the crowd!!! My mouth is hanging open too!!!

    That card's a wowser and it does bring back some fond moments -- but I won't tell!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna,
    I am gobsmacked at this fabulous creation. I have never seen anything as detailed as this. Magnificent.
    Hugs,
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna,
    How can I add much more. This is incrediable. I love how you inked the background it really stands out. The pearls for lights are perfect.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stopping in to ooohh and ahhh also :) I love the card and the story behind it even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! This is incredible!!!! Love the embossing and the gold ferris wheel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kissing at the top of a ferris wheel? NO WAY!!! LOL!! I was always trying not to scream or vomit. LOL!

    This is just beautiful, Donna!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME card!!! You did a great job and what makes paper crafting better than reliving those fabulous memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Guacamole!! This is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you outdid yourself again. this is super! love that Ferris wheel and that it looks like metal against the dark blue is just awesome. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! you have really outdone yourself on this one Donna. The colours are perfect and the ferris wheel is such a memory jolter. Love it!

    hugs
    Kaye x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes, girl! The colors and design are AMAZING! I love that you did it in gold... it just really pops against the dark sky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magical is one way to describe this! That's for sure! And I am also sure that you'll hear that a lot within your comments!
    What a cool idea and all the embossing looks great with this!!!
    Miss being part of the DT with you guys over at TCS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG...this is WAY beyond awesome! It looks like a REAL miniature Ferris Wheel! I swear Donna, I don't know how you do the things that you do. Thinking it is one thing but putting it together with paper is something else. You are da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, this card is seriously AMAZING!!!! It really inspired me! You are so talented.
    I am really glad I found your blog and became a follower.
    I'm a new blogger www.meredithscraps.com I'd love u to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you know that I am impressed with each and every one of your projects, but this one got an extra gasp. WOW!! I just love that foil ferris wheel!! Stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Lord in heaven! This card just takes my breath away. Gold Star fo Donna. You may have enabled me to get the Carousel cart. This card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!